Friday, July 06, 2007

Portugal!

After our friends left Bayona we were a little bored. What shall we do now? We thought. I know, lets go to Portugal!

So, after a 70M downhill sleighride we arrived in Leixoes. It was a pretty windy passage: One time I glanced at the GPS and we were surfing at 10.2 knots! We had the sails goosewinged and were regularly surfing at 8 or 9 knots. By the time we arrived we had no genoa out and 2 reefs in the main, & we were still doing about 5 knots.

The anchorage was not what we have become used to: It was in the corner of a big commercial harbour with big old chunkamahonda container and tanker ships and, although nice and flat, it was still blowing a hooley! We both slept well though as it had been a long day.

The next day (yesterday) we went & checked out the beach & did a little shopping. The beach was crowded but nice & there were surfable waves & I planned to return with my surfboard. It didn't happen though as it was so windy I didn't really fancy rowing the dinghy or leaving 1494.

Today we are in Porto! A bit of a trip by land for a change as it is only a short ride on the metro from Leixoes. Seems nice so far & I shall try to buy a bottle of something as a souvenir: I've heard they make some sort of fortified wine locally, maybe I can find out what it's called in the tourist office?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Counter