Monday, June 04, 2007

Finisterre

We had a good time in Camariñas: Did some touristy stuff, daytrips, met other yotspeople. But with two days of light winds forecast before the next depression we decided to move on (on Sat 2nd June). I wasn't too bothered that the wind might be too light to sail as I was quite happy with my temp repair to the exhaust pipe and, since Finisterre has quite a bad reputation, I wasn't going to become a purist "sailing only" type. As it turned out the repair was rather more tepmorary than I would have liked! On top of that the bilge pump ...er... didn't &, when we did get enough wind to sail, a fitting pulled out of the spinnaker pole. Oh, & the autohelm was playing up. All said & done I was a bit pissed off by the time we dropped hook in Muros but it didn´t take me long to appreciate that the important thing was that we had arrived safely.

(I would put the photos of Cape Finisterre here, but I took em with good ol 35mm film. So you'll just have to take my word for it!).

We liked Muros. A nice old town. We would have liked to have seen more of it but all we wanted was a cold beer in the sun in a harbourside cafe. Susi wrote her book but I was happy just to sit & watch the world (& the chicas!) go by.

Because the wind was forecast to go around to the East on Sunday we followed the advice in the pilot book & headed for Portosin, where we could expect better shelter. We had a great sail there: Flat waters, sun shining, the wind was just right and we saw scores of dolphins at close quarters!

The wind increased in the afternoon & we weren't too happy with our anchorage at Portosin. Luckily the wind abated for the night to allow us to get a good sleep but, by 0530, it had increased again. During a lull at around 0800 we decided to go into the marina. Looking at the wind now it was the right decision: Even in the marina it is quite rolly & the wind noise is pretty unbearable.

In fact to escape the wind we hit the beach. It was still windy, but not as much. Even with the wind it is hot hot hot. Should have brought some windsurfing kit with me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Counter