Wednesday, July 12, 2006

After Amsterdam

We were glad to leave Amsterdam and it's dirty, noisy streets behind on Tuesday(although it had it's moments). I think Susi hit the nail on the head when she said she would recommend Groningen over Amsterdam.

On Wednesday we got up at 0500 as we wanted to catch the first opening of a particular bridge at 0558. I think we should do it more often: A thick mist lay over the river, on one side was the moon, on the other side was the sun, both penetrating the air with a similar dulled brightness. Through the low-lying mist loomed the tops of trees, dykes and a windmill. It was beautifull (man).

We continued on our way to Gouda (they make cheese there apparantly - Edam, I think) and, I should point-out that I normally have every confidence in leaving my crew to steer the vessel while I perform other imnportant tasks. On this particular occasion I performed my important task in the heads (toilet) below as we were passing thru a built up area, and I didn't want to frighten the natives.
Upon my return to the bridge, my crew informed me, rather hysterically, of an important and urgent situation which required my immediate attention: As I dealt with this important and urgent situation and deposited the spider overboard (don't worry - they swim) I heard a sudden expletive from my crew and I looked up in horror to find that we were heading directly for the riverbank at maximum speed! My crew quickly corrected the situation and, I'm pleased to report, did not plough the boat into the grass verge adjacent to the river, or through the cycle path beyond (although it was a close-call).

I'm also pleased to report that I was very understanding about the above incident. Although I may have been even more understanding had it been a big, ugly spider but it was only a little one which would probably never even hurt a fly. Further incidents of a similar nature may have to be disciplined with some hefty licks from the cat or a spell in the hot and sweaty foc'sle - purely as anexample to the rest of the crew, of course!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Counter